Basketball Senior Night at GHS

High School basketball season celebrates graduating seniors

Senior Riley Chmielewski holding possession of the ball while running the play.

Green High School holds its athletic program to high standards, always praising and recognizing teams and athletes for their leadership and success. As sports seasons come to an end, so does the opportunity to continue playing sports in high school for seniors. Near the end of January, Green High School Basketball will hold its Senior Nights for the boys and girls basketball programs, where both teams will face Perry High School. The Panthers have met the Bulldogs once already this season. Senior Ben Pine is very confident that Green can defeat Perry.
“We have them at home this time and Senior Night just adds more motivation for the guys. We all fully expect another big win against Perry,” Pine said.
At Senior Night, these athletes will be announced before the game begins, walked through the gym by their parents and close family members, and met with flowers and gifts from their coaches and teammates. Prior to this night, the younger teammates decorate the hallways and gymnasium with school spirit-themed banners, balloons, posters, and more. Outside of the gym, parents display tri-folds or posters covered with pictures of their child playing the sport they love, dating from the first time they played to current years.
Senior Night is held to honor senior athletes who have dedicated their high school years to playing a sport. In most cases, these athletes have been playing said sport for the majority of their lives. This year, Green is honoring seniors Mark Danner, Ben Pine, Luke Ickes, Nina Shaffer, Cameron Croston, Mallory Oddo, Paige Miller, and Riley Chmielewski. In addition, Senior Max Budziak is the Green High School Team Manager for the boys team, aiding his teammates and coaches on the sidelines at every game. He will be honored on Senior Night, being placed in the starting lineup with his fellow senior teammates. These athletes have spent a decade or longer learning, playing, and perfecting basketball. Senior Cameron Croston is excited for her Senior Night Game.
“I am most excited to play and share a special night with my best friends that I have been playing with for years,” Croston said.
On top of that, they manage to balance other sports, their academics, and lives outside of school. Senior Night is nothing short of a sentimental, pride-filled occasion for all athletes: one last celebration of their hard work, dedication, and achievement.