Boys Basketball Marks Successful Season

Junior Luke Jansen flabbergasted over a play and Coach Kinsley confronts him

Michelle Herdlick

The Green Boys Varsity Basketball team, led by Coach Mark Kinsley, currently has an overall record of 13-4 and a Federal League record of 6-3, which puts them in third place of the league standings. After early year struggles due to injuries, the Bulldogs have had tremendous growth in both their offense and defense. Last year, the Bulldogs had an overall record of 23-3 and a Federal League record of 10-2, which crowned them Federal League champions. The Bulldogs then went on to win a district championship against Stow, which is only the second district title in program history. Despite losing key pieces from last year’s team, Coach Mark Kinsley believes this year’s team is better offensively.
“We have more scorers on this year’s team. At the beginning of the season, last year’s team was better defensively and the team chemistry was better,” Kinsley said. “However this year’s team has shown tremendous growth in both of these areas. The growth in both of these areas has allowed us to play as well as we have.”
With the loss of key players from a team that has accomplished so much, Kinsley hopes for new guys to step up and establish themselves to be leaders that the team needs. Junior Brady Rollyson and Junior Jarret Taylor, both a part of last year’s team, have done just this.
“They both have made tremendous strides in leading our team this season,” Kinsley said. “They have done everything we have asked of them.”
Playing together as a team and the name on the front of the jersey is something that Coach Kinsley preaches to his players no matter the adversity they may happen to face.
“The biggest emphasis in the locker room whether it’s pregame or halftime is to play together as a team. The team goals have to be above any individual goals. If we do this, then our team will be able to reach its potential,” Kinsley said. “As we have developed our depth, each guy is working extremely hard to improve his role. If we can continue to play for the name on the front of the jersey, we have a chance to go deep into March.”
Coach Kinsley not only strives to be a good role model for his players on the court, he always values being a good mentor for his players and students off the court.
“Off the court has been the most enjoyable moment of my time at Green. The lifelong friendships that are developed with our players makes this the best part of coaching,” Kinsley said. “I’m most proud of the young men that our players become while at GHS and when they leave to start their adult lives.”
Although Kinsley appreciates his off the court moments here at Green High, it doesn’t shy away from all of his coaching and team accomplishments.
“On the court, winning our first Suburban League title in 2015 with our undefeated team, three Federal League titles in five seasons, and 2 District Titles in 2019 and 2022 were some of my biggest memorable coaching moments,” Kinsley said.
Looking back on Kinsley’s youth, sports have always been a part of his life and something that he has continued to value growing up. His love for sports is what has influenced him to become the coach and teacher that he is today.
“In my youth, I enjoyed playing sports. I played baseball, football and basketball. Once I got into high school, my favorite sport became basketball. It was during high school that I decided I wanted to be a teacher and a coach,” Kinsley said. “I loved playing Basketball but I wasn’t good enough to continue playing after I graduated. I got into coaching so that I could stay involved and give back to the sport I loved.”

SIDEBAR INFORMATION OF COACH KINSLEY’S ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
District Championship 2019, 2022
Suburban League Championship 2015
Federal League Championship 2018, 2020, 2022
Coach of The North-South All Star Game. The significance of this –
“Zack Oddo played in the game and he is the first player I have coached that was selected to play in the North-South All Star Game.”

BIO ON KINSLEY (SIDEBAR):
Occupation: Teacher/Basketball Coach
College You Attended: University of Akron
Degree: Education
City You Grew Up In: Green
Where You Attended High School: Green (1984)
Years Teaching: 31
Years Coaching: 38
Any Kids: 2 daughters ages 24/20
Any Siblings: Sister
Favorite Song: Anything by the Michael Stanley Band
Favorite Show: Seal Team
Hobbies Outside Of School: Being in the outdoors
Favorite Out Of School Memory: Becoming a dad
(MORE BELOW)
Any “SuperStitions” you have? (Ex: Kids not washing uniforms after a good game): “I really try to stay away from superstitions. I have found that they can consume you as you prepare for a game.”

If you could talk to a younger version of yourself, what would you say?: “Enjoy the little things each day and take care of your health.”

How is teaching different from how you imagined it to be?: “The paperwork that is required outside of the classroom.”

How would you like your students to remember you?: “I would like for them to say that I cared about them as people outside of school.”

Looking back, what advice would you give to yourself in your first year of teaching?: “Enjoy the day to day conversations with your students. These daily interactions are what bring joy to this job.”

Life advice you want to give to people: “Do not worry about things that you have no control over. Once I was able to do this in my life, the stress level dropped dramatically.”