The Student News Site of Green High School

Paw Print

Paw Print

Paw Print

Spring Sports Season

Girls Lacrosse
The Green Girls Lacrosse team has had their fair share of ups and downs this season, but they have managed to preserve through the dwindling number of players to have an entertaining and lesson-learning season. On Tuesday, the girls faced off against Orange High School on the opponents turf and battled it out to the end with an eventual loss and score of 8-4. Following this game was a home one where the girls faced St. Vincent-St. Mary.
Senior captains Tess Peel, Mackenzie Holeman, Kila Klepper, and Sofia Durfee have led the team through each game with a strong leadership mindset to prepare the underclassmen for the following season. At their weekly practices, you can find each senior coaching their fellow teammates with not only lacrosse skills but life lessons.
“With our team consisting mainly of new players, it is important for the more experienced girls on our team to step up and help. Since last year was my first year, I understand how difficult it can be to learn so much so fast,” said Tess Peel ‘24.

Boys Lacrosse
Despite falling to 3-4 in their playoff region (region two), the boys lacrosse team boasts the most goals scored in the region overall. Their calculated playstyle mixed with good performance makes them a solid team offensively, and harbors fast-paced gameplay.
“Our best quality on offense is our chemistry. We work together in practice on our timing and efficiency…[and] it’s one of the best things we’ve done all year because it makes the game look more fluid.” captain Oliver Miller ‘24 said.
The captains for this year’s team are Oliver Miller, Maddux Hurley ‘24, and Mike Schaal ‘25. The team has a myriad of younger talent, allowing for growth in practice and games.
“I think that being a young team is good in some aspects, like being able to learn together and making the future of Green Lacrosse a bright one.” Miller said.
This past Saturday (April 27), the varsity squad defeated Federal League rival Lake 20-6. The sophomore duo of Tyson Hunka ‘26 and Robert Haneberg ‘26 shared the highest total goals scored, both earning five each. Maddux Hurley had four, followed by Oliver Miller with two.
They’ll play Avon High School at home on May 4, and play Shaker Heights at home on May 6.

Softball
This softball season, the team adjusted to the loss of seven seniors from the class of 2023. Coming off a high from winning the Federal League last season, the varsity team holds a league record of 4-5. The team mainly consists of freshmen, so this year has been focused on building for the future. Seniors, Nina Summers ‘24, Mckenzie Collinsworth ‘24, Rachel Spada ‘24, and Lili Ackerman ‘24, lead the team in creating a strong foundation for when they have to depart from Green.
“Although our team is made up of many freshmen, we are pushing through as best we can as we face the other Fed teams,” Summers said.
Monday, April 29, the team faced McKinley for senior night ultimately winning the game 12-0. Pitcher, Annie Liszewski ‘27, pitched the entirety of the game giving up no runs during the first game. Collinsworth also curated a victory by hitting a home run on her senior night. The following night, Tuesday, April 30, The varsity team faced Hoover where they were ultimately defeated 12-1 with Natalie Spada ‘27 hitting an RBI to score the only run of the game. The girls softball team keeps improving as they approach their first tournament game against Massillon Monday, May 6.

Baseball (8-9, 4-4)
This defense-oriented 2024 baseball roster was a healthy surprise to spectators, splitting their opening series against McKinley; they then went on to defeat Ellet’s varsity squad 20-3 behind enemy lines. Since then, results have been mixed.
As of writing, their most recent game saw them begin their Federal League series against Perry with the Bulldogs emerging victorious with a final score of 7-2. Led by right-handed pitcher junior Jacob Harrelson, the Bulldogs secured an early lead with hits from Brady Rollyson ‘24 and Kaden Gregory ‘25 in the first inning. Their offense remained potent, with key hits from players like Dominic Salomone ‘26 and Jack Logsdon ‘25 driving in runs to extend the Bulldogs’ advantage. Meanwhile, Jacob Harrelson ‘25 maintained control on the mound, effectively stifling the Perry Panthers’ attempts to mount a comeback. Despite a brief comeback attempt by Perry, the Bulldogs maintained their dominance, adding runs throughout the game to secure the win.

Track (boys & girls)
Green’s Track & Field teams took to West Salem on April 26, 2024 to participate in the Green Hat Relay, taking home first place overall. The respective squads clocked in at 45.54 seconds in the Boys 4x100m Relay and 1:33.17 in the Boys 4x200m Relay, adding points to secure their champion status at the end of the day.
In the 4x100m girls Relay, Green clocked a time of 51.92 seconds, earning them first place with maximum points. Similarly, in the 4x200m Relay, they finished with a time of 1:47.14, securing another top spot. In the 4x400m Relay, they completed the race in 4:14.84, once again clinching first place.
“The distance team was really on one. Despite putting their best teams in each event, we still had some guys step up and pull some weight.” Distance runner Michael Elsass ‘25 said.
Boys distance not only showcased exceptional times on the track but also delivered a phenomenal point performance, securing 26 out of 30 possible points across various events. With impressive times such as 8:52.66 in the Boys 4x800m Relay and 13:30.41 in the Boys 4x1200m Relay, they demonstrated their endurance and strategy.
In the Boys High Jump, Caden McClure ‘26 placed second with a jump of 6-04.00, earning eight points. Caleb McClure from Green won the Boys Pole Vault event with a vault of 26-00.00, earning 10 points. In the Boys Long Jump, Josh Just from Green secured first place with a jump of 20-07.50, earning 10 points.

Boys Tennis
The boys tennis team has had an impeccable season through both their regular season and conference matches. Just this past Monday, the boys traveled to Wadsworth and secured another victory for their smashing records. While success was limited in the doubles matches, Nick Sziraky ‘24, Liam O’Farrell ‘27, and Josh Gfroerer ‘25 pulled through with three singles wins for the team, ultimately giving them the edge over Wadsworth. The match ended in a 3-2 victory for Green, and the boys hope to take the same victory streak to St. Vincent-St. Mary and Hoban throughout the rest of the week.
Taking a look from the season as a whole, the boys tennis team finished second place out of the entire federal league during the regular season. At the federal league tournament, the boys found similar success with Gfroerer and O’Farrell getting second and third place for their respective brackets. The team has had not only a successful season, but one filled with many memories between the seven seniors.