Akron School Teachers End Their Strike

Cleveland 19 News

Akron Public Schools

On Jan. 8, 2023, Akron Public Schools staff members and administrators signed a contract deal saying that they would pull back on their 10 day strike notice and continue school as usual. Akron’s strike would have disrupted learning for up to 20,600 students.
Many are relieved that the deal temporarily stopped the clock on the strike in regards to finding babysitters and childcare while schools are not in session. The outlook on this deal is bright because it promises the union more safety and health care which is exactly what they have been looking for.
The Akron Beacon Journal states that, “On the two big issues — pay and school safety — the school board moved to appease the union. The administration, which was fighting to keep annual raises in the new three-year contract to 1.95%, 1.95% and 2.1%, settled at 4%, 3% and 3.5%, Malarcik and Hall said Sunday evening.” Don Malarcik is the Akron Education Associate lawyer and Derrick Hall is set to be nominated for president of the Akron school board.
The negotiation began Sunday morning and ended later in the evening. After taking into consideration the union’s demands, which were, “annual wage increases of 7%, 7% and 6.25% but offered 5% in each of the next three years after a fact-finder recommended something closer to the low-end offer the administration was seeking.” The board came to a compromised decision.
The school board voted on a contract Monday night, Jan 9. Main concerns of staff members are safety due to the number of attacks or assaults made on teachers by students. Over 81 cases this school year have been turned over to the expulsion board who then decide where the student should go.
“Our priority is our students and making sure that they maintain in the classroom and that we provide the recognition and honor to our teachers for all they do to ensure our students have increased outcomes, and that they are cared for and loved,” stated board President N.J. Akbar, who explained school safety as a “multilayered, complex issue.”
The goal is for Akron Public Schools teachers to get back to doing their job in a safe environment.