The Student News Site of Green High School

Paw Print

Paw Print

Paw Print

Green Goes Dark

Central Park Celebrates the Solar Eclipse
Provided By: Oswego County Today
The stage of totality where the moon completely covers the sun

On Monday, April 8, 2024, there was a total solar eclipse whose path passed through Mexico, North America, and Canada. This total solar eclipse in particular had a super wide path meaning that millions of people were able to see this “once in a lifetime” show. In Green, Ohio people were able to view this event between 3:00- 3:10 and the total darkness lasted three minutes long. Even though total solar eclipses happen every 18 months, they typically take narrow paths and only select people can even spot it. The last time a solar eclipse this wide took place was in 1878, and the next total solar eclipse is projected to take place in 2044.

Fortunately, for the students at Green High School, the solar eclipse path was right over Ohio. The state suspected that since this eclipse was so special many people would be traveling to watch the eclipse; therefore, GHS decided to call off school in order to avoid excess traffic caused by the crowded parking lots when school lets out.

The City of Green hosted an event in Central Park called “Green Goes Dark” for this once in a lifetime opportunity where citizens were welcome to watch the eclipse. The park was filled with food trucks and vendors, games and other activities. The event took place from 1-6 pm so the eclipse happened in the middle of it. There were movies shown, activity centers, moon walk contests and a bake off all happening during the times before and after totality happened.

When asked about the event, both Molly Hall, ‘26, and Kaelynn Kresowaty, ‘25, had positive responses.

“My experience with the solar eclipse was super cool and fun. During my day off, my friend and I went to Central Park to watch the solar eclipse. When we were there, we stopped at the food trucks to get a snack before the eclipse started. Central Park had lots of fun activities to keep us busy and entertained as we waited for the eclipse to start. You could pick anywhere to sit or stand to view the eclipse. Central Park was such a fun time to experience the solar eclipse!” Hall said.

“It was mostly for little kids, but my friends and I made it fun by playing games like cornhole and volleyball. It was really well set up with everything they had provided and with updates of the eclipse.” Kresowaty said.

Green Goes Dark was a fun experience for all ages to experience the spectacular event of a total solar eclipse.