Seniors VS Staff Game Recap

Davis Stanley

More stories from Davis Stanley

Alyssa Davis

Isaiah Weirich ’23 and Mr. Tiron Jester jump for the ball to begin the game.

Davis Stanley
Recently, Green High School hosted the winter sports pep rally as well as a student versus teacher event. The event consisted of a basketball game played by both seniors and teachers. Positions for the event were assigned by the student council officers. The scorekeeper role was given to an experienced scoreboard technician. Miss. Cameron was offered the role and humbly accepted the position.
“Mr. Granito asked if I would be the scoreboard person for the game because I am one of the only employees who knows how to work it. So I did that for this senior basketball game instead of making my return appearance of looking like a deer in the headlights like last time I played.”
The coaching and officiating roles were given to senior basketball players. Senior Mallory Oddo and senior Ben Pine helped coach the seniors; whereas, senior Nina Shaffer and senior Cameron Croston helped coach the teachers to victory. Pine was rightfully upset after the senior’s loss.
“I feel like we didn’t execute our game plan as well as we could’ve. Missed some open shots and allowed some easy opportunities for the teachers. But we held it close the entire game and I’m proud of the senior squad,” Pine said.
The referees for the game were seniors Marc Danner and Luke Ickes. The play-by-play announcers were seniors Hope Hoffman and Davis Stanley. The event also featured some familiar faces at Green High School. Mr. Allan, a teacher favorite to some students, thought the teachers had the upper hand all game long.
“I feel as though the staff basketball team had an advantage in coaching staff and experience,” said Allan. “We pretty much dominated the game from the opening tip.”
The game ended after two nine-minute halves and the teachers were victorious with a final score of 26-22. Senior Dominic Mariani played point guard for the seniors at the event.
“I had a great time going against the teachers and I’m glad it’s becoming a yearly tradition now at green high school,” said Mariani.
The second-year tradition at Green High is expected to make an appearance in years to come.