The Student News Site of Green High School

Paw Print

Paw Print

Paw Print

Are Social Media Influencers Out of Touch with Reality?

Recently, there has been a lot of speculation that social media influencers are not as “relatable” as they used to be. Most influencers tend to be rich prior to getting a big amount of followers. If they dont start off rich, depending on the amount of their following, they soon become rich or are sent high end products to try and promote. A lot of people have outwardly said that some social media platforms, such as Youtube, aren’t being used as much because the influencers on that platform are hard to relate to as a middle class or less fortunate person. Navjot Kaur is a junior at GHS, and has a perspective on both sides of the issue.

“On one hand, I can relate more to someone and their life, but on the other, I can live vicariously through someone. It’s nice to see things that I know I can’t do, but since I can see others doing it, it’s very enjoyable to see. Watching a smaller creator is fun as well because I can relate to certain things that I wouldn’t be able to if they were bigger on social media,” Kaur said.

Not only are influencers not relatable anymore, they have also become out of touch with reality. A big thing recently that has caused an uproar is when “nepo babies” claim that their parents had no influence in their success. Celebrities such as Kendall Jenner, Kyle Jenner, Ireland Baldwin, and some others have claimed that coming from a successful family hasn’t attributed much to their accomplishments.

Obviously there are a lot of “nepo babies” that are talented at what they do, including those listed above, but the problem the public has is when they claim that their parents or family did not help them through the way. This is a big attribute on why some believe influencers are out of touch. In an interview Kylie Jenner had with Forbes after being listed as the youngest self-made millionaire ever, she claimed that the only word she could think of to use for this achievement was “self-made.” Another more popular example of a celebrity being out of touch is when Kendall Jenner responded to claims that growing up in a rich and successful family made it easier for her to get work as a model.

“Of course I had a platform and I never took that for granted, I always knew that that was there, but that almost made my job a little bit harder,” Jenner said.

Although, some think that because social media influencers have such an abnormal and unrelatable life, it is more entertaining to watch them and see things from their perspective, even if they can not relate.
Social media influencers being out of touch with reality has been a big discussion lately. It’s also currently being debated whether they are still relatable, and if that, even important.