The Student News Site of Green High School

Paw Print

Paw Print

Paw Print

Not So High School

I suppose you could categorize some people’s high school experience into one of three categories: those who peaked, those who enjoyed their time with nothing too special, and those who barely survived. I would say, or should I pray, I did in fact not peak these last four years nor did I just barely survive. But, I would argue I also didn’t have a bland high school experience either. I might go out of my way to say I broke the stereotypical mold of high school. Freshman year Kenzie, in my opinion, is no way similar to senior year Kenzie which is something I take immense pride in.

High school, at least for me, began as the worst two years of my life which is why I look back with contemplation on what I truly experienced. My freshman and sophomore years took a toll on me for the worst. I lacked strong friendships, social skills, and an interest in getting involved. During freshman year, I mainly flew under the radar with only a few friends generally deemed frequent acquaintances, and believed high school would be the best four years of my life. If you see any photos of me from freshman year, I also clearly did not have any fashion sense (another low point in my life). In all honesty, freshman year has become a blur I’d rather not somehow regain recollection of.

Sophomore year was one of those years you don’t understand what really happened. At the start, it seemed as though I might actually enjoy high school for once, but, naturally, that is nowhere near reality. I had a couple of close friends and I enjoyed most of my classes and teachers. Not to mention, sophomore year was also the year I joined journalism. Why? I don’t have an affirmative answer. Call me stupid because I’m currently taking chemistry as a senior due to that very decision.

Anyways, I had friends, and I had fun, so whatever was the matter? Well my fellow Paw Print readers, a boy was the matter, oh, and my compulsive need to please people. Obviously, nothing came from this boy and I, but it sure did cause me an exorbitant amount of stress. I slowly became drained which was present in many of my classes and social relationships. I didn’t want to hurt his feelings, so I continued to participate in whatever was happening between us (remember the need to please people?). It finally came to an end where I was accused of ‘leading him on.’ In all fairness, I was only being nice. Beyond all the boy drama, my passion for the sport I played my entire life disappeared. But, if you wish to read about my softball scandals, head to ghspawprint.org for the whole worth wild story. 🙂

Junior year got me going. I felt as though I had strong friendships, a motivation to try harder in school, and a keen interest in becoming involved. I would say I broke out of my shell, finally. I enjoyed clubs and an occasional sporting event, something sophomore Kenzie would become sick to her stomach at the thought of socializing with a large group of people. I would be lying if I said my sudden increase in social skills happened all on my own. The credit has to be given to the friends who were by my side for the year, thanks guys!

This is where I should also apologize to my friends. I’m sorry you had to witness the slow, and inevitable, Paw Print personality take-over. Yes, I admit, the Paw Print became my entire personality. Am I truly sorry, though? Not for my developing passion, but for the fact I most likely annoyed many of you with my constant chatter of deadlines and Jackson’s absurd behavior. Now, although tough to say, those absurd behaviors have become my own absurd behaviors. For better or worse, I became, as some would characterize it, a control freak. I, on the other hand, would say I prefer things a certain way (my way). Blame it on the Paw Print or my sudden rise to power through Girls of Green, but there was only room for what I thought was right.

If I could describe my senior year in one word, the word would be fake. I wholeheartedly believe I learned very little even though I’m somehow passing all of my AP finals (it’s forever a mystery). The first semester, I suppose, possessed the school aspect I’ve known all my life. As I hit the second semester, things deteriorated. My friendships became scarce, I stressed over college and dreaded the start of the softball season.

My lack of learning wasn’t the only thing that appeared fake. My interests became dull, perhaps senioritis got the best of me. Looking back on this year, the only things I can remember consist of gossiping in AP Lit with Cat and Tess, endlessly making fun of Tomecko during APUSH, and somehow managing to complete absolutely no work in physics (I suppose I shall thank Morgan and Jamie for listening to me yap endlessly). So, I question, how do we graduate in a week?

Looking back at my high school experience, I grapple with my feelings. I clearly did not have the full teen movie experience, but that’s a little overrated, is it not? I enjoyed high school. Writing this now, I develop a sense of pride over everything I’ve managed to accomplish and the person I’ve become. I’m proud of my grades. I’m proud of my lasting friendships. I’m proud of my persistence to help others. Most importantly, I’m proud of the Paw Print. What we, as a staff, have accomplished these past three years is beyond me. Nothing beats holding the finished paper in your hands after pulling an all-nighter. Joke and jest all you want, but the Paw Print makes me more proud than any grade or homerun could. I’m beyond proud and grateful for the opportunity I had as Editor-in-Chief to continue the legacy being built.

I’m proud to see how far I’ve come. From freshman Kenzie who wore a softball sweatshirt every day to senior, Vice President, President, and Editor-in-Chief Kenzie who feels confident enough to come to school wearing a hot pink blazer, I’ve never been so ready to leave Green High School because I know there’s so much more left to accomplish and learn.