The Student News Site of Green High School

Paw Print

Paw Print

Paw Print

The Last Schlue’s Reviews

While my freshman year was more difficult than most it’s not because it started through Covid, but because I had to become familiar with myself. I, along with many of my classmates, spent plenty of nights comparing a “normal” freshman year rather than the one that was given to us. Online School made it incredibly difficult to maintain good grades and connect with people, specifically my friends I’ve known for years. Where most people’s freshman year consisted of finding out where their classes were on the first day, mine took place on my laptop. Looking back, I am incredibly grateful for the advantage and outlook this gave me. Freshman year was not a year to meet new people, but a year to meet myself first. While I’m still currently trying to figure out who I am, I like to think freshman year introduced me to the person I would develop to be throughout my high school years. I give freshman year three out of five stars for allowing me to meet myself before meeting others.

Sophomore year I claim to be my favorite year of high school not because of my teachers or classes, but because of the time I spent with my friends. Coming back from Covid, I was incredibly fortunate to rekindle my relationships with the people around me. Sophomore year I found the journalism program at Green. Becoming a Paw Print journalist, not only taught me how to write but encouraged me to think outside of the box… constantly. The Paw Print gave me a set period of time to create in a space I deem to be utterly positive (most of the time anyways), and gave me something to be a part of through high school. My sophomore year created a lens through which I focused more on the people and relationships around me, more so than on myself. Being in an environment such as my geometry class or Tan’s couch gave me a whole lot more purpose than sitting behind my laptop waiting for my online classes to end. I give sophomore year five out of five stars for helping me realize there is more to high school than just my grades, there are also my best friends and that’s worth at least giving it a shot.

Junior year was my least favorite year of high school. While yes because of the ACT (dropping Algebra 2 was not a good idea just in case you guys were wondering), but also because of the constant reminder that it would all be coming to an end soon. I spent days on end, worrying about what I would do for college. I would frequently forget to relish in it before it was completely over. But, with its lows junior year gave me a lot to be thankful for. Like sophomore year, I learned to come into myself and surround myself with people that would encourage me to create, and continue through. Junior year, being as trying as it is, allowed me to lean on the people, teachers and faculty of Green High School. I give junior year two out of five stars for giving me reasons to ask for help and also teaching me how to accept it.

Senior year by far is the year I’m most thankful for. Not only has it helped me reflect on my choices throughout high school, but my people have helped shape me grow. A special thank you to all of my friends, Meredith, Alexa, Seth, Mario, Alex, everyone else who has shown me kindness in the halls, and especially Nina Summers. Growing up by your side the entire way was my favorite part, so thankful we were throwing partners that one time. A special thank you to Mr. Gruelle who has continued to keep me safe and make me laugh while I tirelessly asked him to tase me. A special thank you to Mrs. Popovich for letting me come day in and day out of her room always with a welcoming smile. A special thank you to the language arts department of Green High School, who recognized my promise, and worked with me in a way I will never be able to repay. A special thank you to The Paw Print. I will never forget the incredible people I’ve worked beside to help produce this publication. The Paw Print gave me a purpose inside of high school and taught me my love, and talent for writing. And the biggest thank you to Tan. Not once did you question my out-of-the box ideas, but helped me realize that out-of-the box thinking is what makes me special. Throughout my years in school, your class has been the constant that I could rely on. Tan has always encouraged me to write something that I could be proud of, and I’m happy to say I’m proud of my legacy I’ve written through the pages of the paper. I’m proud of the people I’ve become friends with, and I’m proud to say we can finally bring in the sheets. (Because what’s a ‘Schlue’s Reveiws’ without a movie Reference)? I give senior year four out of five stars for letting me live in it.