The Student News Site of Green High School

Paw Print

Paw Print

Paw Print

Schlue Weighs In

Victoria Expresses Her Opinions On this Year’s Oscars

Bold take: I agree that Leonardo DiCaprio did not deserve a nomination as “Best Actor in a Leading Role” for his performance in Killers of the Flower Moon. Killers of the Flower Moon gave an incredible profile of characters and acting, but I stand by my claim that DiCaprio did not move me in the same way I was moved by Cillian Murphy (Oppenheimer). While I’m at peace with the academy’s decision to award Murphy with this award, I have yet to understand how Zac Efron did not receive at least a nomination for this year’s “Best Actor in a Leading Role.” Iron Claw, for reasons I’m unsure of, did not receive any nomination for this year’s awards ceremony. Routinely, most people in the film industry looking for Oscar nominations will wait until the end of the year to release their films in order to be more relevant in the academy’s mind: Poor Things, Iron Claw, Killers of the Flower Moon etc. And while sometimes effective, I think in this case going up against other cinematic monsters such as: Poor Things and Killers of the Flower Moon, it had the opposite effect and was outshone.
Along with Efron, Lily Gladstone (Killers of the Flower Moon) didn’t receive an award for her nomination: “Actress in a Leading Role.” In competition with Emma Stone (Poor Things), Gladstone went home empty handed. With both phenomenal performances, I’ll argue that Gladstone deserved this award more. Gladstone, gave a performance that grounded its storytelling script, and made it seem effortless. Whereas Stone, immersed herself in the character profile(s) that executes an outline of an extremely rigid controversial line of film. Again, both were deserving but, I dont think it’s every other movie where you’re able to find a performance that has more depth and personality than Gladstone. Watching, it’s easy to see that when Gladstone acts she performs with a vendetta, something to prove. Stone, on the other hand, acts with grace, watching her is seamless. Again, both deserving an award, I wholeheartedly believe that Glastone was done an injustice in this year’s ceremony.
(Do I talk about him in every article I write? Yes, deservingly so). Wes Anderson deserved a nomination for “Best Screenplay.” Now, I am beyond thrilled he won his first Oscar this year for best short film, The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar, but I would have loved to see Asteroid City make an appearance this year. Not only do I think screenplay would have been a deserving category, but I would have also loved to see Jeffery Wright get nominated twice: “Best Actor in a Leading Role, (American Fiction)” and “Best Actor in a Supporting Role.” Though both performances are drastically different, I find it hard to distinguish American Fiction as “Best Adapted Screenplay.” Jeffery Wright in American Fiction was one of my top movies, and performances of the year, at least in the top ten. But going up against Oppenheimer, I felt this as a no-brainer. Oppenheimer had a greater impact on film, rather than “American Fiction,” both have valuable stories. I just feel Oppenheimer is told in a way that will live longer than American Fiction.
Emily Blunt (Oppenheimer), in nomination for “Best Supporting Actress,” initially took my vote. But in competition with Da’vine Joy Randolph (The Holdovers), I was sad to admit that Blunt would go home empty-handed. Now, I believe Blunt in comparison to any other nominee deserved this award, solely because of her cinematic advancements in The Devil Wears Prada, and well, the fact that Blunt delivered. I can’t imagine another actress in this role, nor any changes to the script to enhance her performance. I think her performance as a whole would, and should be compared to Randolph’s performance. Though the two served great on screen performances, both roles were solely polar opposites to each other, yet the same. Both playing motherly figures in the role, Randolph’s character was more adjusted and comforting to the screen and audiences, where I feel Blunt’s portrayal of motherhood is off-setting to the audience. Both portrayals were showstopping, but when it comes down to the line, I believe the academy sides with the safe choice rather than what I feel to be an earth-shattering actress. Blunt will outperform any monologue, mainly because she acts with purpose, she takes a script and performs. America Ferrera (Barbie), also included in this category, moved mountains for little girls everywhere. As a whole, Barbie did possibly the most this year for film and box offices, but in the theater I wasn’t completely indulged in Ferrera’s performance. Though full of purpose, it’s important to note that scripts are not actors, if anything Ferrera shouldn’t have been nominated, the script should have.
That being said, I feel this was an incredible year for movies. Going to the theater, I more than anyone will attest that theater experiences have been more enjoyable this past year than any other. Having feuds between casts, soul changing movies, and plot lines are what makes the film industry so versatile and inclusive for everyone.