The Student News Site of Green High School

Paw Print

Paw Print

Paw Print

Soccer Changed my Life

Mckenzie Collinsworth

There are many things that have affected me throughout my life over the past 15 years, such as family, friends, and TV shows. Yet the one thing that has affected my life the most has been the past 12 years of playing soccer.

One time, when I was around three years old, my mom took me to the park. It was there that I saw people playing soccer and it was then, at age three, I told her I wanted to play. My mom bought me my first soccer ball shortly after that trip to the park. She then signed me up for my first soccer team experience at age four. No one knew at that time that the next 12 years of my life would fully revolve around my love for soccer.

The past 12 years of playing soccer has definitely changed my life. My weekends, and most days of the week, have been devoted to practicing and/or playing soccer. The sport has taught me many things but three things especially stand out: sportsmanship, teamwork and hard work.

Playing soccer has made both positive and negative impacts in my life. The positives outweigh the negatives. I have made so many great friends and have met so many wonderful coaches and other adults. The time and effort that I have put into the sport has made me realize the importance of hardwork and dedication. If it wasn’t for soccer my work ethic would probably be less than stellar. Also, all of the coaches I have played under have always required the best of me no matter what the circumstances were practice, games, or in the classroom.
I think that every athlete probably comes across at least one coach in their life that ruins the game for them. I had a coach like that in my pre-teen years. Physically he was a great coach who taught me better foot skills, how to get a better shot and how to make better passes. He could also be very funny when he was in a good mood. However, mentally, he was the worst coach I have ever had. He would sub me and my teammates out if we made one tiny mistake and scream at us about the error. Instead of using the mistake as a teaching moment, my teammates and I felt belittled and ashamed. I felt like quitting many times as I began to feel bad about myself and dislike the game. However, I stayed because I had made so many friends that I did not want to lose. My teammates kept me going, and inspired me to keep playing, and to find the desire to continue to play the game. I am so glad I did not quit because I would not be the person I am today.

Through soccer I have been able to travel to many different states and areas. I have been to New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, and Colorado. In 2021 and 2022, my club team competed in the top bracket of a regional league and qualified for Nationals in Denver, Colorado. We were the first girls team at my club to qualify for Nationals. It was such a wonderful and unique experience that I am truly grateful for.

I think that the biggest impact soccer has had on me was moving to Green. I have been playing Green soccer since I was four but I never went to Green schools until my freshman year. It was a huge decision for me to move schools after all those years, but I’m glad I did because playing high school soccer for the Bulldogs has resulted in me meeting some of my best friends and making the best memories.

This past fall was my sophomore season and I think that it will be my favorite season of high school soccer because we broke two records. We won the federal league for the first time and set the record for the best record of the season. The seniors this year were great team leaders and the memories made this year, I definitely will not forget.

Although soccer takes up a lot of my free time, I am so thankful to have started this sport so many years ago. I will continue to work hard and dedicate myself to the sport for years to come. I will continue to play for that little three-year-old who asked her mom for a soccer ball 12 years ago.