The Student News Site of Green High School

Paw Print

Paw Print

Paw Print

GHS Parking Lot Problems

The Parking Lot is Out of Control
GHS cant park instagram
snow spot examples

The dreaded GHS parking lot, it’s every driver’s worst nightmare at the end of the day. This may not be a shock to some people, but no one knows the extent to which this frustration runs. From the lack of driver awareness to the high speeds at which people drive, the parking lot is increasingly becoming an issue during the school day.
Since the creation of FLEX periods in 2021 to limit the number of students in the building, the number of students driving in and out of the parking lot throughout the day has increased. This, coupled with drivers’ high speeds, leaves a steady flow of fast traffic that can be dangerous, especially for students returning to school from FLEX.
“I went home for FLEX during ninth period, but I had to come back to get my brother or something. On my way back, I was driving to go park in my normal spot, and someone backed into me as I was driving to my spot. It was a really loud noise, and I was really scared. We got out and looked at the damage and it wasn’t bad at all. We didn’t get into insurance or anything, and we just kind of fixed our cars and went on with our lives,” Kaelynn Kresowaty ‘25 said.
The lack of awareness drivers have of other cars and students in the parking lot merely provides the elements for more car accidents. Deputy Gruelle is the School Resource Officer and part of his job relates to the parking lot. He directs traffic in the afternoons and deals with reported accidents on school property. Many accidents go unreported to the school, but for the few that do, they tend to have the same storyline.
“Speed, distractions, and generally people just racing to get out of the parking lot first,” Gruelle said.
Accidents aren’t the only problem plaguing the aisles of the parking lot. The speed at which people drive leaves little room for braking whether that be needed when almost hitting another car or avoiding hitting a person. The lack of care drivers tend to have about these issues leaves there to be very few solutions to this problem. So, what is the best solution?
“I think that’s what I would like advice on; do students and staff think it would do more harm than good to put speed bumps out there? How can we draw attention to the fact that you should not be going that fast in a parking lot, paying attention, and having more courtesy to the other people driving through the lot as well. Does it take an extra deputy out there to monitor the traffic a little bit better? Do I need to be out there more regularly than I am throughout the school day?” Gruelle said.
Students also hit each other daily, sometimes only resulting in tiny, barely noticeable scratches. However, this isn’t always the case. One car can leave un-scathed while the other is trashed. Shawn Fisk ‘24 was in a parking lot accident August 30, 2022.
“I’m not really sure how it happened because I was parked and not outside. I was in math class and someone asked me if I drove a Black Honda, I said yes. They then said someone hit it. My left fender was bent in and my front bumper was all scratched and ugly,” Fisk said.
The parking lot issues have been prominent for many years. However, the time to take action is fast approaching. With the lack of a clear solution, the steps to getting there are a mystery. But to all drivers, slow down, pay attention, and be patient.