The Student News Site of Green High School

Paw Print

Paw Print

Paw Print

Spend Time Outdoors

Mckenzie Collinsworth

Growing up, my siblings and I were always outside. We’d always play outside with our neighbors, swing on our swingset, or run around our yard. On weekends, my dad would always drag my sister and me to scouting events since both he and my brother were involved. We would always go out on long hikes and bike rides or go to random summer camps. Seven-year-old Ellie would dread these moments, but now I tend to catch myself wishing I’d cherished them more.

After I got a phone, I spent way less time outside than I used to. I think that is something that kids, or people as a whole, should work on. When I look back at my younger self and compare her to myself now, I can see how staying inside and scrolling on my phone has affected me. As everyone knows, social media contains a bunch of fake news, toxicity, and is a core reason why teenagers have such low self confidence. Growing up and getting outside is such a great way to clear your mind and get away from all of these things. As kids, we just didn’t care so deeply about things. Looking back, what I wore, how messy my hair was, and what people thought about me never crossed my mind. As I grew up and got social media, I started to care- and care too much! I genuinely think that the innocence we had as kids should be something we carry along with us no matter how old we get.

As cliche as it sounds, getting outside and, quite literally, touching grass is such an excellent way to get back even a little bit of your childhood innocence. My point here is that I think that it is so important for young kids to spend the majority of their childhood outdoors. Social media and technology is addicting, and trust me, I can say confidently that I’ve experienced that firsthand. Your childhood should have memories that you can laugh at when you think back at them. When I look back at mine, I immediately think of memories I had outside. Not only is it fun to play outside as a kid, it actually has a lot of health benefits. By playing outside as a kid, you get a bunch of exercise without even trying. Something I used to do with my neighbors was makeup dances and gymnastics routines. I know a lot of kids spend a lot of time on video games, which is fine, but as a kid I think it’s important to get exercise.

Getting able to experience different people and make new friends is also a huge benefit of getting outside. I remember that when I went to the park with my siblings, I always made new friends. I’ve heard a lot about kids having a hard time making friends and socializing, and I honestly think that it all circles back to technology. Listen, I’m not a technology hater. I use my phone just as much as any teenage girl, but I think for kids and everyone in the long run, it’s healthy to get outside. You’re exposed to different kinds of people and people who have interests similar to yours. That’s why I think getting kids involved in sports is a great thing. It’s a great way to get outside while meeting people who have interests similar to yours.

Exposure to the world and nature around you is, of course, one of the most important reasons to get outdoors. Nature is refreshing and improves mental health. I think seeing different places and getting out of Green is so important. It’s essential for the children of Green to know that there is more out there to this world. Some of my fond memories are playing outside with my friends in the summer and going to the beach for a family vacation. Not only will kids have fun in the moment, but they’ll remember those moments for years to come.

As much as you and I love hanging out inside and being on our phones, there is so much more to this world than TikTok and video games; kids need to go out and see it! Social media and technology can be used in remarkable ways, but it is a massive distraction from more important things in life, like memories that kids will treasure for the rest of their lives. I’m grateful that I was able to make so many great memories without a phone, and I think that all kids deserve to make them, too.