The Student News Site of Green High School

Paw Print

Paw Print

Paw Print

AP Success

the ultimate study help this AP season
AP+Success

‘Tis the dreaded season of final exams and AP testing here at GHS. We are wrapping up lessons and new material to make time for a review of everything students may have learned this year. If you’re not lucky enough to have been exempt from at least a few of your exams, it is time to focus and study to ensure a positive end to the year. Senior and ACT exemptions do not apply to CCP or AP final exams. Exam season is commonly feared by students, but there are countless ways to effectively prepare. The hardest part is finding what technique works best for each individual. Different classes require different approaches.

Many classes are more memory based such as history, science, or foreign language. For a class that requires remembering material, it may be helpful to make flashcards or grab a friend to help quiz you on the subject. On the other hand, classes like math or language arts require more application. When preparing for these exams practice problems and quizzes are generally more helpful. The point at hand is that different classes may require different preparation.

“For math, you need to actually be doing problems on top of reviewing your materials.” Math teacher, Mr. Vincent Petrecca said.

There are plenty of resources out there that can be extremely beneficial. Most teachers will give out study guides for their specific exam, review in class, and offer extra help when needed. It is also important to try and understand the material in each class as it’s presented. It will be much easier to review for a final than it would be to try and learn a year’s worth of work in a week. The beauty of the study guide is that the teacher who made the review also made the final exam. Though the study guide probably won’t cover everything, it helps lay the framework for the studying process. Getting extra help from the teacher who, once again, made the exam, can be very helpful as well. There is no shame in going to the math lab or staying after school. All these opportunities should be taken advantage of when aiming for good scores, especially in hard classes.

AP classes are rapidly approaching their final exams and AP tests dates. The classes will take final exams first, set up as mock AP tests, and then they will take the true AP exam.

“Slow and steady wins the race. No cramming. You also need to take care of yourself physically and mentally while you are preparing for your AP test. The test is one day, one score, it does not define you,” Spanish teacher, Mrs. Angela Garritano said.

Most teachers generally agree studying is very important, but craming is not worth it. If you try to retain all the information you learned in the course the night before the test, you will ultimately forget it and lose sleep. Studying in short, spread out periods is much more beneficial than trying to learn it all in one night. Managing your time when preparing will result in better scores overall. It’s very important to practice self-care during these last few rigorous months of school. This includes getting good sleep, eating three good meals a day, drinking water and more. Self care is another aspect that may look different for everyone, but it is important to take care of yourself.

“Start early, come up with a really good schedule. You need to take breaks and get really good sleep, cramming will not end well. Just make sure to take care of yourself.” Math teacher, Mrs. Heather Stoll said.
It’s important for students to remember that these exams are made up of material they’ve seen before. As long as they prepare appropriately, there shouldn’t be any surprises on the test. And while we’re pointing out the positives, after these exams are over it’ll be summer break. Grades do not define you, and life will go on regardless of the outcomes of exam season.

AP TESTING DATES
May 6 – govt am, Art history and chem pm
May 7 – stats pm
May 8- Lit am, CSA pm
May 9 – Env science am, psych pm
May 10 – Euro am, APUSH pm
May 13 – calc am
May 14 – lang am
May 15 – French am, CSP pm
May 16- spanish am, bio pm