The Student News Site of Green High School

Paw Print

Paw Print

Paw Print

Doing What’s Best For Me

Mckenzie Collinsworth

I have played basketball for the last eight years of my life. I have always loved the sport and for a while, I also loved to play. I grew up in North Canton and basketball was a very big thing there; especially girls’ basketball. Every game seemed to be sold out, and I thought it was terrific. So eventually, I was able to convince myself that I wanted to play. I wanted to be on Hoover’s basketball court and play with my friends. I went to several basketball camps, open gyms, and trainers. The main thing for me was that it was enjoyable. Nobody likes doing things that aren’t in their interest. There were other benefits like staying in shape and the social aspect, but it was an activity that I enjoyed with my friends. Until my mother told me going into my 8th grade year, I was moving to Green.

I wasn’t happy about the move because I had to leave so many things behind. But most importantly, I had to join a new basketball team. That was the cherry on top of the worst news I ever received. I was very conflicted at first. Part of me didn’t want to play and another part wanted to see the bright side. So, mainly against my will, I joined the 8th grade basketball team. It’s not that I didn’t want to play basketball anymore, it was the fact that I had to play with new people. I didn’t know them for my whole life and it seemed like there was always something that I was left out of. But I was new so I accepted it and did my part. I played the sport that I loved and when the season came to an end I realized for the first time ever, I was relieved it was over.

I didn’t want to do anything that related to basketball. I hated not playing with my friends and I missed what I had. My emotions got in the way and basketball was something that I dreaded. Thinking back, I should’ve been more mature about the whole thing but I didn’t care.

Eventually, my freshman season started, and if I didn’t like basketball, then I hated it now. The main thing that makes a team a team is the people. Team chemistry plays a big part in how successful a team is. Along with that, the coach also plays a significant role. By the end of the season, I couldn’t see myself being on her team. I wasn’t compatible with her and I felt like it wasn’t working. I wasn’t very happy during my freshman season. I didn’t want to do anything involving basketball, I just wanted to be happy, because I was only playing because it made me happy. But there I was again for my sophomore year. I got convinced yet again to play this sport and I was done. There is so much more that goes on being on a team beyond playing basketball. There’s drama and feelings getting hurt, and that’s when I realized I needed to quit. It wasn’t just one person or thing by itself, it was everything together. The team, the coach, and everything in between. Now, I did love my team very much, but lots of people let personal feelings get in the way and it reflected on our performance. Little things added up over the years that finally made me crack.

When I decided to quit I thought I made the biggest mistake of my life. It was a very emotional experience for me, but I couldn’t physically or mentally be on the team or play the sport anymore. I had negative feelings connected to playing and I didn’t want that anymore. So, I built up the courage to make it official. I thought about going back just for one more year but I had to break the cycle. I dedicated years of my life to this sport and I don’t have one big reason why I quit. I feel like that’s a commonly asked question, “Why did you quit?” For me at least, there wasn’t a general why and if there was I still don’t know yet. But I knew I wasn’t happy, and I could no longer see myself doing it. Being involved in basketball wasn’t for me anymore, and I was trying to hold on to the time when it was. It is very bittersweet.