The Student News Site of Green High School

Paw Print

Paw Print

Paw Print

Swift Sounds

Once again, Taylor Swift has completely shaken the music industry. On April 19th, Taylor Swift came out with her newest album: The Tortured Poets Department. The album has a number of parallels to her previous albums. As popularly described, it combines her albums Folklore and Evermore with Midnights and some edge to create an album with both touching and heart shattering lyrics. The double album contains heartbreak and grief with a side of new beginnings and happy endings.

As we’ve watched reviews and reactions of the album, one thing in particular is always addressed: the lyrics. As we’ve mentioned, the lyrics of this album create emotion unlike any other album before. Love, loss, confusion, and grief are all expressed in excruciatingly relatable lyrics that swifties have been losing their minds over. Which is completely understandable once you listen to the lyrics. There have been a few songs in particular, however, whose lyrics are extra touching to swifties. One of which being “loml.”

“Loml” is a widely known abbreviation that stands for “love of my life,” or so we think. In this album, “loml” actually means “loss of my life.” The lyrics reflect on the intense heartbreak of a relationship that she thought would last, but did not. Swift beautifully put together her situation, as well as many others’ situations, into words in this song. “Loml” has been one of the most well received songs from this album, and happens to also be one of my personal favorites.

“So Long, London” has also been one of the greatest hits of The Tortured Poets Department album. This is one of the many heartbreak songs that are included in this album. “So Long, London” seems to serve as a goodbye to the relationships she has made in London. There is a combination saying these goodbyes, along with bitterness and conflict. The portrayal of the relationship in this song is one which can leave a mark on listeners.

The song “Fortnight” featuring Post Malone has been promoted as the single for the album with a music video which perfectly captures the vibe of the album with its gothic Victorian era black and white aesthetic. Post Malone’s backing vocals and part in the bridge bring an entirely different feeling to the song which enhances the listening experience instead of taking away from it.

“I can do it with a broken heart” was my personal favorite. If you like songs with more energy this is the song for you. It has the perfect Taylor Swift vibe, a memorable chorus, a danceable beat and relatable lyrics. For those casual Swifties out there who aren’t sure where to start with this album, I would start here as it is a classic Swift pop song guaranteed to make you sing and dance along.

As many have probably seen, the song “So High School” has blown up on tiktok, using the lyrics “You know how to ball, I know Aristotle” to show those in a relationship who relate to that line. This is one of the few songs in this album that leans into a happy and love filled relationship. The lyrics of this song have been speculated to be about Travis Kelce, her current boyfriend. As one of the many popular songs in this album, it’s one that portrays an innocent, high school love.

“Guilty as Sin?” Is one of many sad songs on this album. Amongst all the sad girl songs like “loml” or “So Long, London” this song is a small breath of fresh air. It’s a little mischievous and sultry.

Taylor Swift’s The Tortured Poets Department has been record breaking, having completely taken over the Billboard Charts, Hot 100s top ten songs of the week. Not only did the TTPD succeed with vinyl and physical media sales, but Swift’s new double sided venture broke records on streaming platforms. With TTPD Swift notched her 14th No.1 album on the Billboard chart, as previously mentioned.